Saturday, November 05, 2005

Adjustments: The Yo-Yo Effect

Ever noticed how when something doesn't feel right, and you make an adjustment for the better, that the next day that adjustment doesn't hold water anymore? So you make another, and it feels right; and then tomorrow that one is no good too.

Well, I know how it feels. Change the weight, change the rake, adjust the side angle. Eventually I found that it made bugger all difference, and even felt worse after a while. I am not back to where I was, but a comfortable somewhere in the middle. It was worth doing, so that I knew how all the different options felt, and so that I feel more comfortable breaking the pistol down when needed.

There are two things I've found I need out of the grip. Enough room on the trigger finger so that it feels relaxed, and a comfortable consistent grip that points the right way. In my case I know that the grip molding does not fit me perfectly. Luckily it fits well enough that there is a way I can hold it that is easy to repeat, and comfortable (even though there is a gap under the knuckle are.) The rake is tilted enough to help stabalize, but not enough to hurt. The trigger finger has the room to move without moving the rest of the hand and pistol.

Oddly enough, my comfortable position ends up having the thumb pointing outwards from the direction of the gun, rather than smoothly down the grip. This is because I need the gun tilted to the right to adjust for the angle of my body facing the target. It is not actually bad though, because it removes any hope of clenching the thumb and putting sideways pressure on the pistol. I almost have a grip now that is firmly front to back, and the thumb and trigger fingers are relaxed and floating. It feels good, and shoots well, so I guess thats what counts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home