Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The best way to stand

Today I spent a good portion of time looking at my standing position in relation to the target. A lot of the time I will try a position that seems uncomfortable, yet gets a good number of accurate shots. At other times I'll try a more comfortable position, only to find the shots less well grouped. I sometimes think that its simply stiff muscles a lot of the time, and need to make sure that I am well stretched.

The position I seem to go back to the most is standing perpendicular to the target, feet positioned straight under the hips (not shoulders) with feet facing straight on. This is a very similar position to an Archery stance, which I am familiar with. This stance could be hard for people with stiff necks, because it required a full 90 degree neck turn to get the eye lined up with the target. Even a 5 degree tilt of the feet from target, keeping them parralel, helps alleviate this, but it means that the gun grip position must change to aim it correctly at the target.

One of the hardest things to remember is lifting the arm up so that it is aiming in the correct position without straining. I find it too easy to move my arm left or right to sight the target, rather than moving the feet (I'm talking about 1cm foot movements here..) The problem with this is that it then requires a wrist tilt to see the sights correctly. One exercise I do to get the correct line up in exercise is to line up the feet correctly and start rotating at the hips left and right with arms stretched out. As you lets the momentum fade, but keep your arms straight, you will eventually settle into your bodies relaxed aiming position. You can then move if this is not pointing at the target. It's a bit flamboyant, and not something you'd do all the time, but it helps train muscle memory for when you need it.

As far as where to stand goes, I find that the centre of target line passing through the centre of the ankles (and shoulder) is about the right place. Any adjustment to body angle requires moving to the side so that the firing arm stays straight down the centre. If you don't do this then I guess you end up needing to sideways tilt the gun, or your wrist (which I don't think is a good idea)

When I find my best position I'll update the post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home