Thursday, October 27, 2005

Sedentary Shooting

Today I was trialling the use of Sedentary Shooting and Dry Firing. I got up and went to shoot today after finally feeling like my grip adjustments were good and my shots just weren't like they were yesterday. I could've started to play with the gun and sights, but I could see a never ending spiral if I went down that track.

I got a stool, and a length of wood the right length to hold up my arm and I took a seat. Resting comfortably on the stool, I placed my arm on the wood ( a little wobbly, so I still had to use some balance.) The sights were nice and clean against the target and I spent a good effort making sure the sight was spaced correctly and pulled the trigger with no muzzle movement. Of Course I got a dead centre bullseye. In fact, I went a few more and peppered the bullseye. If for nothing else, this was worth while because of the confidence boost I was getting. I now knew that the gun was setup just fine, no tampering required.

Next, After lining up a new target, I got rid of the block of wood. and sat comfortably on the stool. I lined up the stool to closely replicate the angle I use when standing. I raised the arm and repeated the test. It was a little harder to keep it as steady, but the shots were still grouping in, or just around, the 10. So my eyes are ok, and my arm was steady enough!

The next test, of course, was to remove the stool as well, so that I was back to the standing position that had dumped so badly on my shots before. This time I paid attention to how my upperbody was relaxed and positioned on the stool. Were my legs too stiff? I tried putting a bend in my knees, and letting my upper body get the same "feel" as it was when sitting. My shots were better.

The real test is getting through tomorrow and seeing if I can apply the same test for the same results ;) It seems like this is a never ending story of adjustments. At least its damn enjoyable to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home