Monday, October 24, 2005

Tampering with the grip.

The LP10, like most top end air pistols, has an adjustable grip, allowing you to change the horizontal and vertical aligment in relation to the barrel.

I haven't had my gun long, so didn't place any thought into making any adjustments at all, until reading a post at Pilkguns about grip adjustment and Rake Angle: How to make your new gun user-friendly. I performed the test of holding the gun straight out in a comfortable straight arm straight wrist position, and the gun was aiming a good 35-45 degrees up from my arms and fingers (which were pointing roughly towards the target). This is when I really paid attention to what I was doing to get a good shot off with a straight head and eye. I was tilting my wrist forward pretty much as far as physically possible to get that front sight in line with the target. I also had to lift my arm higher to get in line with my eye.

I quickly got the tools out and did a beginners course in adjusting the grip. The manual didn't really say anything at all about what to do. It pointed at 6 screws and said adjust these to measure. Having adjusted pool tables to sit on unsteady floors in my time, I luckily worked out what to do with the 4 screws at the bottom. I left the front 2 alone, and released the back 2 as far as they would go, while still staying solidly attached, and then tightened the grip back on. Sure enough, my repeating the above test found that the sight was now more like a 10-15 degree incline from the arm. Shooting felt instantly more comfortable. My arm lowered at least an inch from before, which helps the shoulder, and my wrist doesn't ache as much. I am tempted to see if I can get any more leverage out of those screws, or even find a replacement set with 2mm extra thread on them.

Please bear in mind that I am 195cm tall, with long arms, so all the adjustments seem smaller to me because of the long arm to eye distance. A shorter person would feel like a lot more configuration was available on the Air Pistol.

I considered the option of adjusting the horizontal direction of the grip to adjust for possible stance changes, but opted not to. My opinion is that the more inline the arm is to the grip, trigger and barrel, forming as close to a perfect plotted line the better. This is an opinion based on trying to eliminate as much sideways forces as possible when tensioning the trigger. I have been trying all sorts of small adjustments in stance and posture and I found quite a few that all may be an acceptable position. Only time will tell if the most comfortable stance will require a left/right grip adjustment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home